Senator Kiraitu Murungi, E.G.H
Kiraitu Murungi is one of the most experienced political leaders in Kenya today. He has had an extraordinary career as a Law teacher, an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, a Civil Society Leader and a Human Rights Activist, a Member of Parliament, a Cabinet Minister and a Senator.
He has distinguished himself as a visionary leader, a passionate social organizer and an effective Member of Parliament. He has propelled his South Imenti Constituency into one of the leading constituencies in Kenya with unprecedented levels of economic development and social prosperity.
- Senator, Meru County, Republic of Kenya
- National Party Leader, Alliance Party of Kenya (APK)
- Member, Senate Rules and House Business Committee
- Member, Senate Committee on Energy, Roads and Transportation
- Member, Senate Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights
- Master of Laws (LL.M) 1991 Harvard Law School, Cambridge Massachusetts, USA
- Master of Laws (LL.M) 1982) - University of Nairobi, Kenya
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (1977) - University of Nairobi, Kenya
- Certificate in Legal Drafting (1980) - Commonwealth Secretariat
- Bar Admission Certificate - Best Student Award (1978) - Kenya School of Law
a) 2005 - 2013: Minister, Ministry of Energy, Republic of Kenya
b) 2003 - 2005: Minister for Justice and Constitutional Affairs
c) 1993 - 2013: Member of Parliament, South Imenti Constituency
d) 1979 - 1990: Private Legal Practice
e) Civil Society Experience (1980-1997
- Among top pioneers for Civil Society and Human Rights Movement in Kenya.
- Served as the Secretary, International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) Kenya section (1984-1990)
- Founder member, Catholic Justice and Peace Commission (CJPC), 1988.
- Founder member, Kenya Human Rights Commission (KHRC) 1990.
- Founder Member and chair of Centre for Governance and Development (CGD) 1994.
- Member, Law Society of Kenya (LSK).
- Member, National Constitution Executive Committee (NCEC)
- Founder Member, Mwangaza Trust -an anti-poverty political Foundation.
- Member, Meru Professionals Association, (MPA).